Just a thought.  I do worry that there may be many companies that have invested
in Flash Builder projects who are traditionally slow to move.  If we do
something to "no longer support Flash Builder", I think we should plan out when
that would happen to give the community a chance to switch IDEs.  Of course,
even if we did, there will be people out there that missed the note and will
get bit my us making a change in the SDK that breaks that IDE.  So it'd be
really more of a "best efforts" sort of thing :)

I spent some time looking for something in the dev-incubator archive list
regarding a requirement for the  major version of the SDK be "4" and haven't
found anything.  It did seem we spent some time looking into possibly having
Apache Flex 2012.0 as the initial version [1], which would suggest to me that
maybe we didn't need to worry about keeping the "4" as the major version number.

[1]
http://markmail.org/message/kuy6farnrqyd5sb3#query:+page:1+mid:axrwwcui25qqa2sj+state:results

Chris