On 3/11/15, 7:50 AM, "Jeffry Houser" <jef...@dot-com-it.com> wrote:

>  I did this back in "the day" when creating the watermark I used for
>Flextras components.  I basically created a component, rendered it, and
>turned it into a bitmap before ever putting it on the stage.
>
>  I had to write my own routine to force the component to go through
>it's life cycle  w/o being added to the stage.  I don't remember
>specifics.  I think it was more complicate than calling validatenow( ),
>but at the moment I can't imagine why.

Because without a parent, it doesn’t go in the queue such that validateNow
will process it.

I’m not sure it will work, but you could try setting nestLevel=2.  That
should allow it to go in the queues and get processed by validateNow() or
regular layoutManager validation.  The question would be whether there are
any dependencies on having a parent in the code that will run during
invalidation or validation. YMMV.