Also, if you have not already seen it, ModestMaps has a pretty cool AS3
implementation.

https://github.com/migurski/modestmaps-as3

I have used it for desktop, web and iOS apps.  You can draw markers,
polygons etc. just like you would on google maps.

If you dont have a lot of success figuring out the earlier approach, see if
this works.

There is a Flex wrapper for this as well:
https://github.com/igorcosta/flex-maps

Thanks,
Om