Combining Josh’s idea and this one sounds really interesting.

> It is probably technically possible.  But would it attract TS folks?

I don’t know, but there’s lots of advantages to Flex that might attract folks
if they could use a language they’re comfortable with.

I’m not sure how well TypeScript transpiled code gets handled by the Google
compiler where it would have to go for minification.

> 1) have FalconJX output TS as well as JS

I’m not sure I understand the value of this.

> 2) extend AS with some of the popular TS features

That would be nice. ES6/7/8 features as well.

> 3) make sure it is really easy to use TS libraries in FlexJS.

A big +1 on this.

> On Aug 7, 2017, at 7:39 PM, Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Sure, trying to replicate the TS compiler in our code base would be a lot
> of work especially if we wanted to also get SWF output.
>
> But I think for JS-only output there is a possible shortcut where we
> replace Google Closure Compiler with the TS compiler and essentially pass
> through the TS code.
>
> Of course, I could be wrong.
>
> -Alex
>
> On 8/7/17, 9:16 AM, "Josh Tynjala" <joshtynj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've considered the idea of extending the TypeScript compiler to
>> understand
>> MXML, and <fx:Script> elements would contain TypeScript instead of
>> ActionScript. Creating a new compiler for TypeScript would be a massive
>> effort (even considering the similarities between ActionScript and
>> TypeScript), so it would be better to piggyback on Microsoft's work, in my
>> opinion. Especially since it would be a never-ending game of catch up as
>> TypeScript continues to evolve.
>>
>> - Josh
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 8:11 AM, Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I was thinking about how we could increase adoption of FlexJS and I had
>>> thought:
>>>
>>> How crazy would it be to make Falcon understand TypeScript?
>>>
>>> TypeScript is currently very popular for many of the reasons that we
>>> like
>>> ActionScript. The difference is that ActionScript is not the current
>>> fad.
>>> There are also many js libraries written in TypeScript.
>>>
>>> If FalconJX would be able to compile .as files alongside .ts files,
>>> TypeScript code could become first-class citizens in the FlexJS
>>> ecosystem.
>>> That would accomplish two things:
>>>
>>> 1. TypeScript code could be used as-is in a project.
>>> 2. It would make FlexJS an option for many TypeScript developers and