Thanks all for the lively discussion about the feature freeze and how to
proceed.
Because we committed to a time-based release schedule, we should not break
the feature freeze too badly, or we would just disable the
time-based-release-policy at the very first time it would trigger.

Here are a few thoughts about what we can do:

  - First of all, please note that feature freeze does not mean bug fix
freeze. Important bug fixes can and should go in as part of the 1.3.0
release testing period

  - We should probably not add brand new features to the list at this point
(that would most likely break the release schedule completely)

  - I think there is a case to include some features which are partially
(but not fully) in master already, or exist basically completely as Pull
Requests at this time.

How about we do *freeze the set of features* for the release today, but *leave
a grace period to get the complete-but-not-merged features in until the end
of this week*?
That would mean forking the release-1.3 branch end of this week.

We should try and agree on which features fall under that list, and make
sure each one has a committer committed to merging them in the next days.