Hi, Dawid, thanks so much for the detail suggestions ~

1. Regarding the motivation:

I agree it's not a good suggested way based on the fact that we have better
solution, but i think we can support override that as long as it exists as one
of the the table options. I would remove if from the motication part.

2. The options passes around during sql-to-rel conversion, right after we
generate the RelOptTable (CatalogSourceTable#toRel in Flink), this is indeed a
push way method at least in the RelOptTable layer, then we hand over the
options to TableSourceFactory with our own context, which is fine becuase
TableSourceFactory#Context is the contact to pass around these table-about
variables.

3. "We should not end up with an extreme example where we can change the
connector type", i totally agree that, and i have listed the "connector.type"
as forbidden attribute in the WIKI. As for the format, i think the connector
itself can/should control whether to override the "format.type", that is one of
the reason i change the TableSourceFactory#supportedHintOpitons to
TableSourceFactory#forbiddenHintOpitons, use a blacklist, we can limit the
format keys we want conveniently.

4. SQL Hints syntax.

> I think the k and v in the hint_item should be QUOTED_STRING (not sure if it
> is equivalent to string_literal).

I disagree, we at least should keep sync with our DDL: use the string literal
as the key. We did also support the simple identifier because this is the
common hint syntax from Calcite, it does not hurt anything for the OPTIONS
hint, the unsupported keys would validate fails.(If you think that may cause
some confuse, i can make the syntax pluggable for each hint in CALCITE 1.23)

We only supports OPTIONS hint in the FLIP, and i have changed the title to
"Supports dynamic table options", would make it more clear in the WIKI.

5. Yes, we also have this concerns from our offline discussion, that is one of
the reason, why i change the TableSourceFactory#supportedHintOpitons to
TableSourceFactory#forbiddenHintOpitons, i do not choose Set<String>
supportedHintOptionKeys() with wildcard for 2 reasons:

  - The wildcard is still not descriptive, we can still not forbidden one of
the properties among the wildcard properties, we can not enable or disable them
totally
  - ConfigOption is our new structure for keys, and it does not support
wildcard yet.

Best,
Danny Chan
在 2020年4月1日 +0800 PM9:12,Dawid Wysakowicz <dwysakow...@apache.org>,写道: