Hi all,

Now that the 1.11 release is out, it is time to plan for the next major
Flink release.

Some items:

   1.

   Dian Fu and me volunteer to be the release managers for Flink 1.12.

   1.

   Timeline: We propose to stick to our approximate 4 month release cycle,
   thus the release should be done by late October. Given that there’s a
   holiday week in China at the beginning of October, I propose to do the
   feature freeze on master by late September.

   2.

   Collecting features: It would be good to have a rough overview of the
   features that will likely be ready to be merged by late September, and that
   we want in the release.
   Based on the discussion, we will update the Roadmap on the Flink website
   again!

   1.

   Test instabilities and blockers: I would like to avoid a situation where
   we have many blocking issues or build instabilities at the time of the
   feature freeze. To achieve that, we will try to check every build
   instability within a week, to decide if it is a blocker (make sure to use
   the “test-stability” label for those tickets!)
   Blocker issues will need to have somebody assigned (responsible) within
   a week, and we want to see progress on all blocker issues (downgrade,
   resolution, a good plan how to proceed if it is more complicated)

   2.

   Quality and stability of new features: In order to have a short feature
   freeze phase, we encourage developers to only merge well-tested and
   documented features. In our experience, the feature freeze works best if
   new features are complete, and the community can focus fully on addressing
   newly found bugs and voting the release.
   By having a smooth release process, the next merge-window for the next
   release will come sooner.

Let me know what you think about our items, and share which features you
want in Flink 1.12.

Best,

Robert & Dian