Thanks for being our release managers for the 1.12 release Dian & Robert!

Here are some features I would like to work on for this release:

# Features

## Finishing pipelined region scheduling (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-16430)
With the pipelined region scheduler we want to implement a scheduler which
can serve streaming as well as batch workloads alike while being able to
run jobs under constrained resources. The latter is particularly important
for bounded streaming jobs which, currently, are not well supported.

## Reactive-scaling mode
Being able to react to newly available resources and rescaling a running
job accordingly will make Flink's operation much easier because resources
can then be controlled by an external tool (e.g. GCP autoscaling, K8s
horizontal pod scaler, etc.). In this release we want to make a big step
towards this direction. As a first step we want to support the execution of
jobs with a parallelism which is lower than the specified parallelism in
case that Flink lost a TaskManager or could not acquire enough resources.

# Maintenance/Stability

## JM / TM finished task reconciliation (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-17075)
This prevents the system from going out of sync if a task state change from
the TM to the JM is lost.

## Make metrics services work with Kubernetes deployments (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-11127)
Invert the direction in which the MetricFetcher connects to the
MetricQueryFetchers. That way it will no longer be necessary to expose on
K8s for every TaskManager a port on which the MetricQueryFetcher runs. This
will then make the deployment of Flink clusters on K8s easier.

## Handle long-blocking operations during job submission (savepoint
restore) (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-16866)
Submitting a Flink job can involve the interaction with external systems
(blocking operations). Depending on the job the interactions can take so
long that it exceeds the submission timeout which reports a failure on the
client side even though the actual submission succeeded. By decoupling the
creation of the ExecutionGraph from the job submission, we can make the job
submission non-blocking which will solve this problem.

## Make IDs more intuitive to ease debugging (FLIP-118) (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-15679)
By making the internal Flink IDs compositional or logging how they belong
together, we can make the debugging of Flink's operations much easier.

Cheers,
Till