Hi Timo,

Actually, I'm not in favor of explicit syntax `BEGIN ASYNC;... END;`.
Because it makes submitting streaming jobs very verbose, every INSERT INTO
and STATEMENT SET must be wrapped in the ASYNC clause which is
not user-friendly and not backward-compatible.

I agree we will have unified behavior but this is at the cost of hurting
our main users.
I'm worried that end users can't understand the technical decision, and
they would
feel streaming is harder to use.

If we want to have an unified behavior, and let users decide what's the
desirable behavior, I prefer to have a config option. A Flink cluster can
be set to async, then
users don't need to wrap every DML in an ASYNC clause. This is the least
intrusive
way to the users.

Personally, I'm fine with following options in priority:

1) sync for batch DML and async for streaming DML
==> only breaks batch behavior, but makes both happy

2) async for both batch and streaming DML, and can be set to sync via a
configuration.
==> compatible, and provides flexible configurable behavior

3) sync for both batch and streaming DML, and can be
    set to async via a configuration.
==> +0 for this, because it breaks all the compatibility, esp. our main
users.

Best,
Jark