Hi Becket,

If I remember correctly, then we deliberately not documented the Kafka
connector in the 1.12 release. Hence, from this point there should be no
need to backport any fixes because users are not aware of this feature.

On the other hand this also means that we should be able to break anything
we want to. Consequently, backporting these fixes should be possible.

The question would probably be whether we want to ship new features with a
bug fix release. Do we know of any users who want to use the new Kafka
source, are using the 1.12 version and cannot upgrade to 1.13 once it is
released? If this is the case, then this could be an argument for shipping
this feature with a bug fix release. If not, then we could save some work
by not backporting it.

Cheers,
Till