Hi Arvid,

There are interface changes to the Kafka source, and there is a backwards
compatible change in the base source implementation. Therefore technically
speaking, users might be able to run the Kafka source in 1.13 with a 1.12
Flink job. However, it could be tricky because there might be some
dependent jar conflicts between 1.12 and 1.13. So this solution seems a
little fragile.

I'd second Till's question if there is an issue for users that start with
> the current Kafka source (+bugfixes) to later upgrade to 1.13 Kafka source
> with API changes.

Just to clarify, the bug fixes themselves include API changes, they are not
separable. So we basically have three options here:

1. Do not backport fixes in 1.12. So users have to upgrade to 1.13 in order
to use the new Kafka source.
2. Write some completely different fixes for release 1.12 and ask users to
migrate to the new API when they upgrade to 1.13
3. Backport the fix with API changes to 1.12. So users don't need to handle
interface change when they upgrade to 1.13+.

Personally I think option 3 here is better because it does not really
introduce any trouble to the users. The downside is that we do need to
change the API of Kafka source in 1.12. Given that the changed API won't be
useful without these bug fixes, changing the API seems to be doing more
good than bad here.

Thanks,

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin