Thanks, Chesney - I totally missed that. Answered on the ticket too, let us
continue there then.

Till, I agree that we should keep this codepath as slim as possible. It is
an important design decision that we aim to keep the list of authentication
protocols to a minimum. We believe that this should not be a primary
concern of Flink and a trusted proxy service (for example Apache Knox)
should be used to enable a multitude of enduser authentication mechanisms.
The bare minimum of authentication mechanisms to support consequently
consist of a single strong authentication protocol for which Kerberos is
the enterprise solution and HTTP Basic primary for development and
light-weight scenarios.

Added the above wording to G's doc.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NMPeJ9H0G49TGy3AzTVVJVKmYC0okwOtqLTSPnGqzHw/edit