Thanks, Martijn.

I was not aware of the definition in Jira. I don't think we can actually
change those, because they are shared by many projects. It's not ideal
though. For the same reason, we can probably not *rename* Minor to Normal.
It would also affect a lot of other projects. What we would have to do is:
add "Normal" to FLINK, remove "Minor" from FLINK and migrate all "Minor"
tickets to "Normal". That would be possible, I think.

What do others think?

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 7:21 AM Martijn Visser <mart...@ververica.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the thorough explanation. I was basing my information on the
> info you see you click on the question mark behind 'Priority' when you
> create a ticket [1].
> Given the documented ticket priorities, I would vote for renaming Minor to
> Normal and set that as the default priority.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martijn
>
> [1]
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ShowConstantsHelp.jspa?decorator=popup#PriorityLevels
>
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 at 16:06, Konstantin Knauf <kna...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > well that escalated quickly :) Let me share some more background. This is
> > our current definition for the priorities (from
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Flink+Jira+Process).
> >
> > *Blocker* - infrastructure failures, bugs that block us from releasing
> >
> > *Critical*  - test instabilities, security related issues, important
> > components is non-functional for important use case
> >
> > *Major (default)* - typical feature requests, bug that affects some use
> > cases
> >
> > *Minor* - nice to have feature requests, wishes, not necessarily under
> > active development or discussion, catch all
> >
> > *Not a Priority *- stale feature request or bug report
> >
> > Tickets (except Not a Priority) need an assignee or an active public
> > discussion otherwise their priority is slowly reduced up to "Not a
> > Priority" automatically by the flink-jira-bot
> > <https://github.com/apache/flink-jira-bot>.
> >
> > The time intervals until they prioritized are configured in
> > https://github.com/apache/flink-jira-bot/blob/master/config.yaml:
> >
> > Blocker: 8 days without assignee or activity
> > Critical 21 days without assignee or activity
> > Major: 67 days without assignee or activity
> > Minor: 187 days without assignee or activity
> >
> > So, the big jump is between Major and Minor, which is why I proposed to
> set
> > the default to Minor.
> >
> > When you propose new priorities ("Normal") I propose you also share how
> it
> > would fit in/change this framework, i.e.
> >
> > * What's the definition?
> > * Does it change other definitions? Do we need to migrate tickets?
> > * What would be the Jira Bot configuration?
> >
> > I know, this is a lot to ask, but otherwise I fear we might talk past
> each
> > other.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Konstantin
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 1:35 PM Martijn Visser <mart...@ververica.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I would introduce a new priority between Major and Minor. I think
> there's
> > > still value for having a Minor priority, especially for tickets where
> > > something is being reported but there's a workable workaround
> available.

> [...]

Konstantin Knauf | Head of Product

+49 160 91394525

Follow us @VervericaData Ververica <https://www.ververica.com/>

Conference

Ververica GmbH
Managing Directors: Yip Park Tung Jason, Jinwei (Kevin) Zhang, Karl Anton
Wehner