Hi all,

Now that Flink 1.17 has been released, and given that we've already synced
the latest Kafka connector code up to Flink 1.17 to the
apache/flink-connector-kafka repo (thanks to Mason and Martijn for most of
the effort!), we're now in the final step of completely removing the Kafka
connector code from apache/flink:main branch, tracked by FLINK-30859 [1].

As such, we'd like to ask that no more Kafka connector changes gets merged
to apache/flink:main, effective now. Going forward, all Kafka connector PRs
should be opened directly against the apache/flink-connector-kafka:main
branch.

Meanwhile, there's a couple of "dangling" Kafka connector PRs over the last
2 months that is opened against apache/flink:main:

   1. [FLINK-31305] Propagate producer exceptions outside of mailbox
   executor [2]
   2. [FLINK-31049] Add support for Kafka record headers to KafkaSink [3]
   3. [FLINK-31262] Move kafka sql connector fat jar test to
   SmokeKafkaITCase [4 ]
   4. [hotfix] Add writeTimestamp option to
   KafkaRecordSerializationSchemaBuilder [5]

Apart from 1. [FLINK-31305] which is a critical bug and is already in
review closed to being merged, for the rest we will be reaching out on the
PRs to ask the authors to close the PR and reopen them against
apache/flink-connector-kafka:main.

Thanks,
Gordon

[2] https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/22150