Hi all,

I am looking for feedback on removing Kafka code from apache/flink:master:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-30859. If it wasn't clear, this
involves moving more documentation, Kafka examples, Kafka related formats,
and test related code to the new repo.

Regarding the Kafka related formats, I would like to see if anyone has any
objections, as it is not as straightforward as moving modules to the
external repo. This required moving the confluent-avro and debezium-json
code from the flink-formats into new modules. The confluent-avro part is
straightforward and it is relocated under a new module called
flink-formats-kafka. However, the debezium-json code required moving only
the debezium part of flink-json and the artifactId has been changed to
"flink-json-debezium". The code for debezium format is unfortunately
scattered across multiple modules (flink-avro-confluent-registry +
flink-json) leading to this situation and it is not obvious since debezium
code doesn't have an explicit Kafka dependency. Thanks to Gordon for
catching this!

I would suggest:
1. Move the debezium part of flink-json to external repo.
2. Create a new module under the external repo called
flink-formats-kafka/flink-json-debezium where code will be located under
artifactId `flink-json-debezium`. Update documentation so SQL users refer
to this new artifact for the pluggable format.
3. Not remove debezium code from apache/flink:master to preserve backward
compatibility for the flink-json dependency. Mark the code as deprecated to
signal that new code contributions should go to the external repo.

Here is a PR [1] if you would like to see the changes for yourself. Any
objections?

[1] https://github.com/apache/flink-connector-kafka/pull/16

Best,
Mason