Hey Rui, hey Ryan,

Good points. Non-committers can't directly release but they can assist
with the release. It would be great to get help from both of you in
the release process.

I'd be happy to be the release manager for the 1.8 release. As for the
timing, I think we need to reach consensus in which form to include
the new memory tuning. Also, considering that Gyula just merged a
pretty big improvement / refactor of the metric collection code, we
might want to give it another week. I would target the end of February
to begin with the release process.

Cheers,
Max