Gavin wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler
> >
> > I hope that people will give me support (as they always did) when
> > I shortly will merge back the dispatcher rewrite and volunteer to
> > get a long overdue forrest 0.9 release out.
>
> That would be good. I'm afraid I have not looked at your branch. Of course I
> will when it gets into trunk as that???s what I tend to work on. I will also
> try to test the branch out on Windows before the merger.
>
> When are you planning on doing this ?

Is there some overview of what is involved in merging
the disptacher? What i wonder about is that our current
demos on the zone use the "dispatcher" in
whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher
and i don't understand how that relates to
whiteboard/dispatcher/
and then what the difference is with the new branch.

Is this also about making dispatcher the default instead of skins?
If so, there would need to be a large docs effort.
Release would be easier if we left that phase until later.

> I have only ever know David to perform a release, I would have thought he
> would need to be around for a release whether being RM or not, at least until
> someone else has done it.

No, i don't need to be. Hopefully i have left sufficient notes
after last time. See the doc [1] below and see the mail archives
leading up to the last release.

Before me it was Jeff. Thankfully when i first did it there
were some basic notes from him. I worked out how to do it by
looking at other project's releases, e.g. Cocoon-2.1, HTTP Server,
and the great notes from Stefan and others.

Our Forrest notes have evolved. I needed to refer to them for every
release and refine them every time. Ferdinand helped to expand
the documentation.
[1] http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html

Each time we have managed to streamline the process a little more.

Whoever takes on the Release Manager task, beware.
Every project's release notes advise their RM to allocate
a lot of time.

> In fact, I'd go as far to say we need many people around for a release, the
> lists are quiet currently, all the main contributors of the past releases are
> very busy these days.
>
> In other words, I'm not sure who else will be around if a release were to
> happen soon.

Doing such co-ordination is one of the early tasks for the RM.

-David