I'm a bit confused by (1). Isn't it actually more complicated for you to
restrict log collection to a relative path? Why not just look for log files
no matter where they are written to? I also don't really follow the
argument about why a user that writes to /var/logs is not going to want to
use this command. Won't all users want to be able to gather their logs
using this command?

2 seems reasonable. It seems like we should restrict the file names if we
are going to have this limitation.

-Dan