This discussion has revolved around the assumption that all changes go through
the PR process.

If you’re a committer, nothing forces you to create a PR — you can also just
commit directly to develop.  PRs are commonly used when the committer wants
feedback (from the PR checks and/or from the community), while changes to docs
and tools are sometimes made directly on develop.

By making it harder to use the PR process, will this have the unintended
side-effect of nudging more committers to skip it entirely?