My thought is that the release branch should be short-lived (in this case
hopefully < 2 weeks).  I think it should match the version (which would be
1.0.0-incubating-alpha1).  Then we can have subsequent release branches for
1.0.0-incubating-alpha2, etc.

I would say that even though alpha1, alpha2, … are stepping stones on the way
to a 1.0.0 release it would be good to follow a consistent process.

Anthony