On May 30, 2005, at 8:10 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2005, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

Well, it does if you want to avoid getting the entire history of the
project when you do a co.  That's really the issue.

    That's really a layout issue.  You put the trunk, branches, and
tags, "somewhere". If you put them all under the same parent, and check
out the parent, then sure, you get a lot.  If we want to avoid that
problem, we need to find a layout with better "parents" so you if you grab
the right parent(s), you get only what you want and nothing else.

Right - and it's not an issue w/ CVS, which is how most of us think about this. We forget (or I do) that you have to change model w/ SVN.

That's why it's become a layout issue.

The bigger issue, which started this, was jeremy's suggestion that we get a stable track for things that doesn't interfere w/ people experimenting.

geir

    So I guess the place to start is, what do we want you to get (and
want you to not get) in a single checkout?

    I'm also not tied to using a single "parent", since I always use
Maven to checkout anyway, so we could have 20 separate dirs it checks out
for different modules -- one to get the main Maven scripts and admin
stuff, then you run that to grab the correct configuration of everything
else that you're after.

Aaron

[EMAIL PROTECTED]