On the specific issue of Tomcat/Jetty picker .... I'm not sure that I follow all of the arguments
for or against it.  IMHO it isn't that large of an issue be it in M4 or M5.  The only users affected
would be those who require Tomcat and I don't imagine (although I could be wrong) that this
is a large number.  Also those who do require Tomcat are already accustomed to making
the numerous changes so this won't be a "new pain point" if not delivered.
I think the most important thing (as several folks have already mentioned) is to
get M4 committed and out the door.  We should take whatever path assures us
that M4 will not be delayed.

Regarding the discussion on milestone criteria ... I agree that we need to define the criteria
ahead of time.  However, there also needs to be a little bit of pragmatism in there too.
If some function isn't ready in time we will have to make the call to either delay the delivery
or deliver w/o the function.  It really depends upon the impact to the users and the
pain that is caused by either delaying a delivery or dropping a planned function.   I think
in general that the most important thing is to show regular, forward progress and a clear
plan for the future.

Jeff Genender wrote:
Ok...if we are in favor of an August M5, then I am cool with this.

I want to point out a little history to understand why there is some passion in getting this into M4.

My understanding about M(X), is the M stands for Milestone.  I believe that you hit a milestone based on a set of criteria.  I not only understood that we had concensus that this would be a part of milestone 4 and thus fit the criteria, but I was specifically asked by one of the committers on the project to get it done fast so it can be in M4.  I worked very hard to get this out.  It was somewhat disconcerting to me that this got kicked back to M5 after all of this...as I could have taken my time.

I would only ask that A) M5 come in a relative short time period...and more importantly, that B) we decide ahead of time what is in the milestone, and cut based on the milestone roadmap's requirements of included options, as opposed by date.  Although it would seem that A conflicts with B, it does not.  If we keep our list relatively short, A will work with B.

Finally, IMHO, there has been too much committer talk and decision on this subject.  I really would love to hear what the community wants in M4 and M5.  The community's voice should be the most important.

Jeff

David Jencks wrote:
I am extremely strongly in favor of only bug fixes for M4 and putting out M5 in mid august and 1.0 in mid sept.

I'd like to point out that re-branching at this point is essentially abandoning M4 for M5.  I have committed substantial changes to head that are not yet necessarily completely stable and are also not quite complete.  If we rebranch, we won't be able to get the new M4.5 out before mid august anyway.

I abandoned my hopes of getting all the work I am putting in head into M4: after some consideration I decided that it was more important to get M4 out than my favorite features in, even though I was sure they would not be destabilizing.  There's some difference in that my features have no discernable impact on the normal user, but still :-)

thanks
david jencks