I may have phrased the original issue badly.  The installer has both Jetty and
Tomcat as options to install on the main pack selection page.  It was decided
that because of the complexity of installing two web containers that we
should not install both, but allow the operator to select one or the other.

In M5, the installer actually allowed both containers to be configured, but
did not have a way to validate the ports selected.  When configured correctly
with no conflicting ports, both containers will start.  There's some
goofiness with offlineDeployer and runtimeDeployer since one of the
containers will win the config.xml entries if more than one is selected --
looks like Tomcat wins.

For 1.0, both containers will be listed on the first selection screen.
However, it didn't make sense to default both to install when the plan was to
only allow one.

Allowing both requires the installer to validate the ports and ensure that the
operator does not configure both containers to the same port. This problem
exists for other port types as well, but is less likely to be a problem.

IzPack does not support this inter-panel validation easily i.e. through normal
XML based configuration.  It requires that java code be built to extend the
user input panels.

On the other hand, limiting the operator to one web container is no panacea
either.  To effectively do this, I have configured the XML to set Jetty as
the default to install (Tomcat can be selected) since it's confusing to do
otherwise in this scenario (although the default could just as easily be
Tomcat and it looks like the vote is going that way).  This effectively
starts down a good path for this scenario, but the operator can easily select
both containers again.  To stop this, I will extend a userinput panel to be
invoked to check that both are selected and not allow the install to proceed
past the first userinput screen -- the first screen after the major component
selection.  This again requires java code since IzPack does not have a
parameter to apply to packs such as "exclusiveOf( packName )".  This is
interesting since it does have "depends( packname )" which allows us to
require the Tomcat container when installing the Tomcat console, etc.

This may be more than everyone wants to know, but to answer your question, I
don't see any particular reason why the installer cannot allow installation
of both.  However, it's very late in the 1.0 cycle and the current design is
that we'd allow one or the other, but not both.

I have no particular preference myself.

--

Regards,

Erik