On 7/3/06, Jason Dillon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I don't really consider this work experimental... gshell is
experimental, but the m2 work that I am doing is just the application
of experience with this system and other build systems for the past
years (and years).

Here's my take: before you stepped in, we've got our own vision of how
it might work. It turned out we missed the point and tried to convert
m1 project into m2 one without careful thinking about how much time it
would eventually take. I think noone knew how it would turn out as we
all learned M2. It's turned out that we should be more radical and
refactor our directory structure or problems are just behind the
corner. You made it clear to us. Before then, I think I wouldn't have
agreed with anyone calling m2 experimental, either, but don't take it
so literally. I'll appreciate your work and that I can learn so much
from what you're doing, but is it bad to call it experimental until
it's done? If it is, please accept my appologizes and I'll never say
it wrt your work wrt m2 migration.

But... lets see what others have to say.

Definitelly!

Though... even with a branch, we would have to RTC to merge back to
trunk, which may take several weeks... which is not acceptable IMO.

Nope. We can go on with the work in the branch while keeping truck of
where we're at with applying them to trunk. It's us who care to commit
the work to trunk so wouldn't you mind if you worked so hard and your
changes wouldn't be committed? I would. So, although it's much more
work to do, doing it incrementally with help of JIRA is doable. The
benefit is to encourage others to step up and join. It might be that
some mailboxes will grow too fast, and their owners won't be able to
resist to help us with the migration or their mailboxes blow up ;-)

--jason

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski