IMO we should not overload the <scope> mechanism here, but define new configuration elements that allow us to add the additional metadata needed.... just like how I added classpathPrefix to be used to control the prefix for manifest entries.

Then the m2 dependencies would only really be used to control build order for cars.

--jason