On Jan 24, 2007, at 6:48 AM, Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:

I think that Jira is working correctly as is.  It should not show up
on the radar, http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/geronimo, until
someone makes a commitment to fixing it for a particular release at
which time the issue gets assigned "Fix Version/s".  If you look at

I was under the impression that the "Fix Version/s" represents the versions in which the reporter would like to see the fix, but not as a commitment from someone to fix it in a release. May be a wiki page with details on how to use the JIRA will help. Or is there one already??

Well, we could manage the issues that way. But, imo, the dashboard is much more useful as tactical display as to what is going to be done for what version. This informs users what is coming down the pipeline.

If we switch to versions that the reporter would like to see the fix several things will happen. It is likely that the reporter will mark the next version as the version to fix. It is also possible that it would not get fixed for that version. When this occurs, we would have to ask all the reports to update their wish list. Also, the dashboard would then become a display of wish lists with no clear visibility as to what will get released when.

The best way that a reporter can indicate his/her opinion on when it should get fixed is via priority.

I think that there is a wiki page somewhere...

Regards,
Alan