2 replies in one go :-)

On Oct 8, 2007, at 2:27 PM, Paul McMahan wrote:

On Oct 8, 2007, at 4:49 PM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:

Can we make the c-m-p use the maven dependencies by default ? 58 of
the 95 configs already use the maven deps. There are approx 15-20
configs that need to be converted to plugins. Odds are we'll end up
with 75% of our configs using maven deps. Thus we should consider
using the maven deps as default.

+1, can this setting can be inherited from the parent project like the other settings such as source-repository currently are? see configs/pom.xml and plugins/pom.xml

we can do this as soon as all the existing configs have been converted to using really using the c-m-p to generate the geronimo- plugin.xml. Before that I believe we will get into big problems, which is why I didn't do it in the first place.

Also, by default, it should merge the maven deps with the explicit
deps, IF ANY are specified in the c-m-p configuration. I don't see a
use case for this now, but if there ever is a need to use both maven
deps and an explicit list, this will let us achieve it.

+1, one use case would be when you want to use the <import>services</import> environmental setting for a plugin dependency. I was trying to do that earlier today but it didn't seem to work right.

I don't really understand the behavior you are proposing here. Currently you have a choice between including all the maven dependencies with <import>all</import> or explicitly specifying all the dependencies you want with the import you want. If you explicitly specify the dependencies in the c-m-p config section each one has to be a maven dependency as well.

What exactly are you proposing to be different here?

Lastly, the exisiting <useMavenDependencies> parameter can be used to
specifically exclude the maven deps. This will include only the
explicit deps in the c-m-p configuration.

would this match the current behavior when you explicitly configure c- m-p dependencies?

settings inherited from the parent projects can be overridden.

Is this relevant to the preceding?  I'm not seeing how yet.

I'm a little leery of more configuration choices than are absolutely necessary. I wonder if we could get by with one behavior, namely always using the maven dependencies with import type all unless the import type is overridden in the c-m-p config. Are there any cases this wouldn't work for?

I think we'd still want the include version flag.

thanks
david jencks

Best wishes,
Paul