Thanks for the explanation, David.  I don't disagree with anything you've
explained, but I'm not sure you've addressed my concern about the disparity
in the effort required to deploy a custom valve on tomcat and on geronimo.
Even with the a streamlined process involving a tomcat server portlet and
using the tomcat6 plugin as a base, the user still has to become a plugin
developer to deploy their valve on geronimo.  If that's how it has to be,
then I suppose that's how it has to be.  I'm just concerned that it could
turn off users that might have otherwise lived happily with geronimo.  I'm
not really sure how widespread the use of custom valves are, though, so
maybe it's just a small minority this would even effect.  I'd be curious to
get some feedback from some other developers and see if they have any
thoughts on the matter.  Anyone else out there keeping an eye on this
thread?

--
~Jason Warner