Hi David,

You are correct: the underpinning philosophy of these approaches is to make it easier to modify pre-canned plugins through extension points.

This may be a good approach to improve further the packaging model of dependencies and services. Let's say that an end-user wants to add a connector to the tomcat6 plugin. Instead of using the admin console or updating his config.xml, he can simply deploy a cumulative plan. This notion of cumulative plan is the key differentiator as users can share their cumulative plans "as-is" - i.e. w/o knowing what the plugin to be modified looks like. To some extent, providing a plan ready to be deployed instead of deployment instructions is better for novices.

I will work on the Groovy builder approach and post back more details as I go.

Thanks,
Gianny