David Jencks wrote:

On Apr 15, 2009, at 10:42 PM, David Jencks wrote:

I've been assuming that the classloader work Gianny and I have been working on in my sandbox would get into 2.2. At the moment I think I have the classloader framework more or less working and I'm going through the plugins working on setting up the required jar dependencies. Only some of them can be derived from maven dependencies. This is turning out to be a somewhat slow process.

I finally got the server to run with the one-classloader-per-jar setup. After struggling with this for a couple of weeks and seeing the difficultly of correctly configuring classloaders I don't think we should put this into 2.2. For one thing classloading seems to be pretty slow: it takes about 55 seconds to start the jetty-jee5 server.

55 seconds to start... that's really bad in comparison to the server today. The full Tomcat JEE5 assembly on my MBP will start in something like 20 seconds.. a minimal assembly under 10 seconds. I've been seeing reports that JBoss 5 is slow and bloated compared to earlier releases... seems to be the natural evolution of app servers. Is the performane hit related to the design (classloader per jar) or something in how the design is implemented?

Bill