Reading the notes on this:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/systemprops.html#Specification

-
Note that changing a number of the above defaults is likely to break the
majority of systems as some browsers are unable to correctly handle the cookie
headers that result from a strict adherence to the specifications.
-

Sounds like it is necessary to keep this false, for now. And I am not sure why
it would have been set to true, except for one guess... that is if it was set to
true while developing Geronimo 3.0 to help ensure our development process does a
better job at building a compliant server.

-
Defaults, regardless of whether or not they have been changed by setting
org.apache.catalina.STRICT_SERVLET_COMPLIANCE can always be overridden by
explicitly setting the appropriate system property or element attribut
-

So the user can always change it back to true by just setting a system variable.
Perhaps we can put this variable in to the start scripts, but commented out. And
add a note that FALSE is the default value, but the admin user can override that
value by uncommenting the line.

e.g.:
# STRICT_SERVLET_COMPLIANCE is false by default. You can override this
# by uncommenting the following line.
# See:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/systemprops.html#Specification
#GERONOMO_OPTS="${GERONOMO_OPTS}
-Dorg.apache.catalina.STRICT_SERVLET_COMPLIANCE=true"

So, changing this would not seem to be a problem since it is easily revertable
by the end user.

-RG