Great job David,

It looks good to me (non-binding ;)).

Regards
JB

On 12/20/2011 02:08 AM, David Jencks wrote:
I've been spending a lot of time working to rebase geronimo on karaf 3 so we
can have a maintainable future and get stuff like osgi 4.3, up to date aries
components, and the experimental region support now in karaf.

After a lot of work I have everything except clustering building and after
turning off a couple problematic modules the tomcat-javaee6 server starts and
the web admin console appears to work at least a little bit.   I'd like a
little vacation this year and would like to commit this work first so that
others can help with the loose ends if they like.  I'll probably be around to
answer questions in any case.

The modules that don't start are:

activemq-broker-blueprint.  The ${X + Y} stuff is not getting evaluated at all.
 I don't know if this is an xbean-blueprint problem or an aries blueprint
problem or a side effect of running in geronimo.
As a result activemq-ra and tomcat-console-activemq can't be started.

client-deployer.  I think this is a pretty simple gbean name problem but I
haven't looked into it.

Here are some of the changes:

-- assemble the server using a combination of karaf assembly from features and
kars and geronimo assembly from geronimo plugins.  We now use the same base
karaf assembly stuff as the normal default full karaf assembly (except I might
have left out the spring feature repository).

-- basic geronimo components such as the kernel, configuration manager,
dependency manager, deployer, and service config builder are set up as osgi
declarative services so they start without any geronimo configuration.  They
are generally configured through config admin as appropriate.  Most of these
also have gbean wrappers so they can be accessed through gbean references.

-- "geronimo" is started from a DS component, EmbeddedDaemon.

-- I think I'm using the karaf remote jmx security rather than ours.  The
capabilities are similar but not identical.

Some other things that are not working yet:

-- The (gogo) geronimo console commands that work through "remote" gbean
proxies don't work AFAIK.  Probably one way to fix this would be to expose some more of
the DS components using gbean wrappers, but I haven't looked into this yet.

-- the app client (as well as the client-deployer) is not working yet at all.
We may be able to use command line args to tell the EmbeddedDaemon it's an app
client, or possibly not.  We may be able to use a karaf instance to supply
different ConfigAdmin settings to e.g. the local attribute manager to convince
it it's an app client.  Similarly the separate console-like things presumably
won't work either.

-- the EditableConfigurationManager needs to be replaced by a separate
component that edits the configuration it gets from the normal configuration
manager.  I think this affects some part of the admin console.

I'f there's no strong opposition I'd like to commit this tomorrow.

Many thanks

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbono...@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net