> On Mar 8, 2017, at 10:44 AM, Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de> wrote:
>
> Alan, I understand that you don't want to put much more energy into this
> project. That is totally understandable and fine.
> But while you are PMC chair you still cannot declare that the project is dead
> as long as there are enough PMC members still active to keep the project
> going.

Let me be perfectly clear.  I am not declaring this project dead.  I have
started a long delayed public discussion about possibly moving Geronimo to the
Attic.  We’ve had this discussion many times over the years on the private PMC
list, out of concern of spooking potential public interest.  Now, I am
declaring that it’s time to discuss this publicly; my opening of the discussion
to the public spurred at the request of an ASF board member.

The questions you ask below, have they not already been asked, privately and
publicly, multiple times over the past half decade?  Can you provide your
opinion as to how many more unanswered calls to action must take place before
the project can feel comfortable donating the used bits of Geronimo to the
active OSS projects that actually use them?  Before the project embarks on yet
another SOS it is important to know what is your concrete criteria that the
project can use to honestly declare to the ASF board and corporate members that
there is an active community here.  It is also important to know what is your
concrete criteria for deciding that a reasonable effort has been made and it’s
time to wind down.  Keep in mind that both criteria can be applied to what
efforts and results have already taken place over the past decade.  Details as
to what is different from this effort from what has been done in the past would
be helpful to garner consensus.

These are not hard requirements being dictated by me, but a suggestion to
prepare us for what will inevitably be asked of us should the project soldier
on.  In addition to a consensus that an effort should be made, there should be
a consensus on clear and transparent criteria for failure as well as success.