Like I said, I think its a great improvement. Y'all did great with this so far. Yes there are some things missing, but only 2 are really hitting me so far and both are on the "design plan" for publications (https://github.com/gradle/gradle/blob/master/design-docs/publication-model.md) already:

1) this runtime versus compile scope in the generated POM issue.
2) not being able to define multiple artifacts/publications for a project.

I am not sure how common the second requirement is across projects, but wanted to explain it. Its sort of a cross between the points in https://github.com/gradle/gradle/blob/master/design-docs/publication-model.md#i-want-to-publish-multiple-ivy-or-maven-modules-from-my-project and https://github.com/gradle/gradle/blob/master/design-docs/publication-model.md#i-want-to-customise-the-ivy-or-maven-meta-data-for-a-publication. Basically I have a set of "test support" classes that I currently split out into a separate project (hibernate-testing) in order to share it between modules in the project and to let others use it easily for testing Hibernate. Ideally, I'd move these classes into another module (hibernate-core) in the project and then (a) be able to refer to it from other modules and (b) be able to publish it using the same artifactId (hibernate-testing). (a) used to be doable by using a special configuration, but not sure how I can tie that in with the new publication feature.