Thank you for the response Luke. I read the doc and did a little more
investigation on my use case, and I see that the problem is more
complicated than I'd thought. For example, my plan to naively skip
duplicated META-INF/LICENSE files would have violated the license terms of
those libraries... For some file types it may be appropriate to rename
duplicates (eg, LICENSE-apache-activemq-5.8.0.jar,
LICENSE-google-guava-1.0.14.jar) but perhaps that sort of thing is a better
job for a function in a build script rather than something baked into the
tool itself.

In any case, the real issue for me was apparently that jarsigner won't sign
jars with duplicate entries, and it was better not to use a single
monolithic jar anyway. I'm still happy to help if I can, but I think I will
take a look at the list of issues for community newbs :)

Thanks,
Kyle