See
https://github.com/emilianbold/groovy/commit/6d0e4fa95190580d49e225b47158c79c42fa68f6

I've started from your solution and made some changes:

* Console.groovy also needs to load maxOutputChars from the prefs
* ConsolePreferences.groovy fixes only this issue, without the log file.
The layout is also simpler and with less hardcoded dimensions
* MacOSXMenuBar.groovy moves the action into the standard App | Preferences
menu

--emi