Hi OC,

1. Is there a reason you cannot put your "well-tested inner code" in a
   seperate method, thereby making the code cleaner and avoiding the
   name clash problem altogether ? In any case that is not a strong
   argument in my eyes: Just copy & paste the code into a seperate
   editor and search & replace all clashing variable names, or put it
   into a seperate method temporarily and use your IDE's renaming
   support to change the variable names - this should take less than a
   few minutes, and how often do you really encounter that scenario in
   practice ?
2. You example of using it in closures makes no sense to me, since "it"
   in a closure always refers to the one closure argument, so a new
   closures it will always hide any enclosing closures it. At the same
   time "it" in closures is typically only used for very compact
   closure bodies, often single statetments, so there is never any
   danger of confusing what the it refers to.
3. This is in my experience absolutely not the case for any larger
   piece of code, so let's agree to differ on whether masking variables
   in general is a good idea or not :-)

Cheers,
mg