I think that branching scheme makes sense.

We should probably define the intent of even/odd versioning and compat
rules on the webpage (the how to release instructions and on the
download links) if we are going to do it so we don't have to explain
it over and over.  If we do this ahead of time,  everyone should have
the same expectations knows what this means.

Also, we could consider probably playing some games with adding -dev
or -beta after an odd version number.  I say this with some
trepidation - over in Hadoop-land they there are some contentious
discussions about version numbering and naming that I'd personally
like to avoid.

Jon.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)