I dont see why odd/even is better than adding -dev/-beta suffix,
which explicitly indicates that this is a development release, rather than
the user having to consult to documentation to understand it. But agreed
with John in that we don't want to go into a never ending discussion of
which versioning schema to go. If historically, 0.89/0.90 worked well, we
might as well go with it.