+1 for new JRuby for now and having a JIRA to discuss what features should
this shell have would be great.

However, I think that during the last few years many of us have used the
hbase shell for major surgery as Andrew said and it has added some
confusion to users about what the hbase shell is used for and I think that
functionality shouldn't be longer exposed to regular users. One way we
could probably do this is to have a user facing CLI that will be more for
DDL, permissions and data interaction for users (sort of psql or phoenix
/me runs too) and deprecate/update the old shell just leaving table/region
management functionality for admins, also since most of advanced scripting
is done by interacting with Admin directly (see region_mover.rb or
copy_tables_desc.rb) I don't think we should worry too much about backwards
compatibility if that gets properly documented.

thanks,
esteban.

--
Cloudera, Inc.