On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 7:18 PM, Daniel Vimont <dan...@commonvox.org> wrote:

> The first step in working through a problem is acknowledging that there IS
> a problem, so in that respect, this conversation is going well so far!!
> Here are some thoughts (some of which are barely half-baked, so pardon the
> "raw dough").
>
> SHORT-TERM BRAINSTORMING
> I know that HBaseCon2016 is very close, and all the speaking slots and
> topic sessions are locked into place, but I do have a few suggestions:
>
> (1) At *several* points (not just once!) throughout the plenary sessions,
> make a statement that this conversation has come up on hbase-dev, and it's
> an issue that you think is worthy of our attention and discussion. (I think
> we're just at the beginnings of a very long conversation, but just
> announcing that the conversation is underway and inviting people into it
> seems a good way to start.)

We can do that.

> (2) I see that Intel is sending four representatives to make presentations
> (two women and two men!). Intel seems to be at the forefront of
> diversification efforts in the broader IT community, having set its goal
> for "full representation" in its workforce by 2020. If these Intel
> presenters feel comfortable, it would be great to devote a few minutes in
> one of the plenary sessions to allow them to informally talk about how the
> Intel z is going from their
> perspective, and whether that offers any lessons that might be applied in
> the Hadoop/HBase ecosystems.

Let me ask the Intel'ers who are coming to the conference.

> (3) For HBaseCon2017, devote complete sessions to the issue of
> diversification. (Perhaps invite Intel's Chief Diversity Officer, Danielle
> Brown, to lead up some proactive discussions.)

Yes. I like this suggestion.

> LONGER-TERM STRATEGIZING
> Stepping back to the generic questions of how and why to "recruit" new
> contributors, perhaps this is where my "newbie" eyes can assist in taking a
> fresh look at things, beginning with a big lead-in question:
>
> The current "staff" of the HBase project: how were we "recruited", and why
> are we here?
>
> When I look at the contributors list, I see what I expect to see: Almost
> all of the contributors are employees of companies that are the biggest
> stakeholders in the HBase ecosystem, with the biggest number coming from
> those companies that are existentially bound to the HBase/Hadoop
> ecosystems, and a smaller number of contributors coming from companies that
> make strategically vital use of HBase in their operations. My assumption is
> that these companies are not magnanimous philanthropists, they're just
> (quite appropriately) looking after their own vital interests. Bottom line:
> this majority of contributors are *paid* to be here; their employers
> "allow" them to spend a percentage (or maybe in some cases, all) of their
> working hours tending to the care and feeding of the open-source golden
> goose that keeps their proprietary enterprises going.
>
> And then there are people like me (likely in much smaller numbers) who are
> here to beef up their expertise in current technologies in a way that also
> gives them a publicly-displayed "portfolio" of work with which to
> subsequently seek out paid engagements (of either the contract or
> employment variety). I'm sure I don't fully buy into the prevailing wisdom
> that "code is the new resume" and "just put your stuff out there on GitHub
> -- WE'LL find YOU!!"; nonetheless, for the last several months I've been
> setting aside my doubts and building just such a "portfolio".

The above is a fair assessment I'd say.

> So, if my take on the current "staffing" situation is approximately
> correct, it suggests to me that the quickest path to "full representation"
> in the HBase project is initially through conversations with the Human
> Resources chiefs and the CEOs of the corporations that provide the majority
> of this project's "staff". What initiatives are underway in these firms (1)
> to recruit a diverse workforce and (2) to assure that once members of
> underrepresented minorities are brought in, that they find themselves in a
> safe, supportive environment in which they want to stay? Finally, if good
> initiatives are already underway, what might be done to hasten the "trickle
> down" from these initiatives into a more diversely-staffed HBase project?

There was a call-to-arms a while back that echoed around the valley (Here
is one origin story [1] that references this interesting looking project
[2]). Where I work there is a special project afoot to work on problem #1,
at least, from your list above. Ultimately it should translate into better
numbers out here in projects like ours but I'm not sure improving presence
in open source is a captured metric. Let me ask.

St.Ack

1.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/05/silicon-valley-gender-sexism-women-engineers-tracy-chou
2. https://github.com/triketora/women-in-software-eng