We're continuing to make backup / restore more robust.
Work in progress (both are close to being integrated):

HBASE-15565 Rewrite restore with Procedure V2
HBASE-15449 Support physical table layout change

Since snapshot is dependency in the full backup, backup / restore wouldn't
be more robust than snapshot is.