Josh,

On a doc side we have a very good manual:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12829269/Backup-and-Restore-Apache_19Sep2016.pdf

The only thing what was changed is the command-line tools args format, but
you can start from there - just type  command w/o args.

In the current implementation the worst thing which could happen is a
failure during backup, which will leave backup system table in incomplete
state (read - broken). This won't affect cluster operations but may prevent
further backup operations (will require full backup for all table to reset
broken system table).

I am currently starting working on HBASE-15227. It will probably take a
week or two to finish.

On a doc side, as I already mention we will need to update command-line
tool section in the doc I posted above.

-Vlad