Kicking this thread....

 * Lots of progress on an hbck2. It has some basic utility (see below) that
has been useful to me at least hacking on a test cluster I've been doing
damage too this last week or so. It exits with complaint if run against an
hbase that doesn't have support for hbck2 ops (i.e. < 2.0.3 or < 2.1.0) and
it is itself versioned. I'll work on a bit of doc and our Sean is working
on making it easy to find and run over in HBASE-21215
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-21215>. We could cut a 1.0.0RC
inside the next week or so I'd say.
 * A bunch of messy stuff has been fixed over the last few weeks on the tip
of branch-2.1 thanks to our Duo, Allan, JIngyun,among others (and
backported to branch-2.0 <= Look for a 2.0.3RC soon after the 2.1.1RC...).
In cluster testing, we're not looking bad.

So, I think a 2.1.1RC0 is not far off. If you want to help out, there's
just a few outstanding issues [1]. If any are yours, please do an update
(including moving out of 2.1.1 if you don't think it will make it ). The
other area that needs love is failing unit tests. There are just a few.
Pick one and have a go at it [2].

Lets try and get an RC0 up next week or so?
Thanks,

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/HBASE/versions/12343470
2.
https://builds.apache.org/view/H-L/view/HBase/job/HBase%20Nightly/job/branch-2.1/
and
https://builds.apache.org/view/H-L/view/HBase/job/HBase-Find-Flaky-Tests/job/branch-2.1/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/dashboard.html

Below is usage for HBCK2 as of today:

$
HBASE_CLASSPATH_PREFIX=~/checkouts/hbase-operator-tools/hbase-hbck2/target/hbase-hbck2-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./bin/hbase org.apache.hbase.HBCK2
usage: HBCK2 [OPTIONS] COMMAND <ARGS>

 -d,--debug                                 run with debug output
 -h,--help                                  output this help message
 -p,--hbase.zookeeper.property.clientPort   port of target hbase ensemble
 -q,--hbase.zookeeper.quorum <arg>          ensemble of target hbase
 -v,--version                               this hbck2 version
 -z,--zookeeper.znode.parent                parent znode of target hbase

Commands:
 assigns [OPTIONS] <ENCODED_REGIONNAME>...
    -o,--override  override ownership by another procedure
   A 'raw' assign that can be used even during Master initialization.
   Skirts Coprocessors. Pass one or more encoded RegionNames.
   1588230740 is the hard-coded name for the hbase:meta region and
   de00010733901a05f5a2a3a382e27dd4 is an example of what a user-space
   encoded Region name looks like. For example:
     $ HBCK2 assign 1588230740 de00010733901a05f5a2a3a382e27dd4
   Returns the pid(s) of the created AssignProcedure(s) or -1 if none.

 bypass [OPTIONS] <PID>...
    -o,--override   override if procedure is running/stuck
    -r,--recursive  bypass parent and its children. SLOW! EXPENSIVE!
    -w,--lockWait   milliseconds to wait on lock before giving up;
default=1
   Pass one (or more) procedure 'pid's to skip to procedure finish.
   Parent of bypassed procedure will also be skipped to the finish.
   Entities will be left in an inconsistent state and will require
   manual fixup. May need Master restart to clear locks still held.
   Bypass fails if procedure has children. Add 'recursive' if all
   you have is a parent pid to finish parent and children. This
   is SLOW, and dangerous so use selectively. Does not always work.

 unassigns <ENCODED_REGIONNAME>...
    -o,--override  override ownership by another procedure
   A 'raw' unassign that can be used even during Master initialization.
   Skirts Coprocessors. Pass one or more encoded RegionNames:
   1588230740 is the hard-coded name for the hbase:meta region and
   de00010733901a05f5a2a3a382e27dd4 is an example of what a user-space
   encoded Region name looks like. For example:
     $ HBCK2 unassign 1588230740 de00010733901a05f5a2a3a382e27dd4
   Returns the pid(s) of the created UnassignProcedure(s) or -1 if none.

 setTableState <TABLENAME> <STATE>
   Possible table states: ENABLED, DISABLED, DISABLING, ENABLING
   To read current table state, in the hbase shell run:
     hbase> get 'hbase:meta', '<TABLENAME>', 'table:state'
   A value of \x08\x00 == ENABLED, \x08\x01 == DISABLED, etc.
   An example making table name 'user' ENABLED:
     $ HBCK2 setTableState users ENABLED
   Returns whatever the previous table state was.