I think we are on the same page that we should upgrade to the newest log4j2
version since the final release has not been published yet.

But on log4j1, in our community we have discussed this before when there is
a CVE for it. You can view this page

https://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/

And even for the recent CVE, log4j1 is also affected, as listed on the page
you provided.

Log4j 1.x mitigation

Log4j 1.x does not have Lookups so the risk is lower. Applications using
Log4j 1.x are only vulnerable to this attack when they use JNDI in their
configuration. A separate CVE (CVE-2021-4104) has been filed for this
vulnerability. To mitigate: Audit your logging configuration to ensure it
has no JMSAppender configured. Log4j 1.x configurations without JMSAppender
are not impacted by this vulnerability.

It is as you said in the first paragraph, log4j1 has a special CVE for it,
and it will never be fixed. We need to say that ‘yes it is affected but
only if you bla bla’, not good for end users right?

So I still stand my point that, stay on log4j1 is not a good choice, it is
not because we have already done the work, it is our duty to keep our users
safe from security problem.

And on the Hadoop part, it is also me that trying to upgrade to log4j2. But
as you know Hadoop is actually constructed by several projects, it is
really not easy to do this work, like what we have done in HBase.

Anyway, let me prepare a new RC.

Thanks.
Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>于2021年12月19日 周日09:12写道: