On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 20:31 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 08/04/2010, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Folks
> >
> >  How do you feel about upgrading minimal JRE level for HttpCore 4.1 from
> >  1.3 to 5.0 provided it remains fully binary compatible with HttpCore
> >  4.0?
>
> 1.3 is seriously deficient now.
> 1.4 is still adequate, but 1.5 offers useful performance and memory
> model improvements.
> 1.5 would also make it easier to build core since nio needs 1.5.
>
> I'm OK with requiring a minimum of 1.5 (or 1.4), but not 1.6 (yet).
>
> However, I don't think this should be introduced in a minor release; I
> think it needs a major release.

I would hate to have to bump the version number to 5.0 just because of
that. There are examples of Apache projects changing the minimal JRE
level requirement with a minor release, but I understand this is quite a
stretch.

Anyway, I am the one to blame for keeping HttpCore 1.3 compatibility
requirement. I guess we will have to live with 1.3 compatibility for
now.

Oleg