On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 11:19 AM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/05/2010, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 17:55 +0100, sebb wrote:
>>  > On 13/05/2010, ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > > On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 4:49 PM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > >
>>  > >
>>  > >  >
>>  > >  > This is actually quite easy, see
>>  > >  > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMMONSSITE-55
>>  > >  >
>>  > >
>>  > >
>>  > > Thanks for the pointer, i didn't know you could do use a file url in
>>  > >  altDeploymentRepository.
>>  > >
>>  >
>>  > BTW, you can also add the profile to your local settings.xml.
>>  >
>>  > Though if many people may want to use the same method, it is more
>>  > efficient to add it to a shared resource such a a parent pom.
>>  >
>>

>> This approach results in corrupt / inconsistent maven metadata
>>  (maven-metadata.xml) unless the metadata is manually copied over.
>>

> This is what the Apache Nexus repo is for, see:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/apache-release.html
>
> [As far as I can tell, one can use deploy to upload to the repo if one
> does not use the release plugin.]
>
> PMC then votes on the repo contents, which are then either promoted or
> dropped.
>
> ==
>
> Note that I raised the issue of whether Maven sources need to be voted
> on with the board/infrastructure.
>
> All the responses say that Maven source packages need to be voted on
> by the PMC, and this is supported by the updated releases FAQ at:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
>
> This also requires jars etc. to have N&L files, which implies that the
> Maven artifacts also need to be reviewed.
>
> Voting on source releases is not an issue that is decided by PMCs; it
> is mandated by the ASF.
>
>>  Oleg

Sebb, there is a source release that we're voting on, so,
respectfully, i don't think this is an issue. I'm on the board and
infrastructure lists so have seen the discussion you mention. The key
point is that all ASF releases must include a source release and any
other binary artifacts are an optional convenience.

The issue with the Maven artifacts requiring source artifacts came
from projects that were doing pure Maven artifact only releases where
the jars in the Maven repository did not have an associated source
release so there was no way to recreate the Maven artifact jars from
the release. Thats not the case here as there is a source release and
building that creates all the Maven artifacts, so it does not matter
whether or not those individual Maven artifact jars themselves have
associated source artifacts.

I'm still +1 on this release.

   ...ant