On 10/28/2022 11:07 AM, Michael Osipov wrote:
Am 2022-10-28 um 11:01 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
Folks

I would like to start the release process for HttpCore 5.2 GA followed by HttpClient 5.2 right after.

Will there be at least two more PMCs around to help me with the releases?

I am here..

Great. Thank you.

We should also discuss whether 5.2 will fully supersede 5.1. It is more than enough to maintain three branches, 4.5.x, 5.0.x and 5.x.

I was going to open a discussion on the 5.1.x long term support after the 5.2 GA, but let's get started right away.

The only reason to maintain 5.1.x in parallel to 5.2.x is to have a Java 1.7 compatible version with HTTP/2 support mainly for Android as a target platform. I see no other reason to choose 5.1 over 5.2.

At the same time it looks increasingly less likely someone in their right mind would pick Java language over Kotlin on Android. The main and only reason to maintain the 5.1 line any longer is gone, in my opinion.

I propose we do one more release of 5.1 and then focus exclusively on 4.5.x (GA) 5.2.x (GA) and 5.3.x (ALPHA).

Oleg