On Nov 4, 2012, at 8:35 PM, Namit Jain wrote:

> I like the idea of Hcatalog becoming a Hive sub-project. The
> enhancements/bugs in the serde/metastore areas can indirectly
> benefit the hive community, and it will be easier for the fix to be in one
> place. Having said that, I don't see serde/metastore
> moving out of hive into a separate component. Things are tied too closely
> together. I am assuming that no new committers would
> be automatically added to Hive as part of this, and both Hive and HCatalog
> will continue to have its own committers.

One thing in this we'd like to discuss is the HCatalog committers having commit
access to the metastore sections of Hive code.  That doesn't mean it has to
move into HCatalog's code base.  But more and more the fixes and changes we're
doing in HCatalog are really in Hive's metastore.  So we believe it would make
sense to give HCat committers access to that component as well as HCat.

Alan.