I am not sure where we are on this discussion.  So far those who have chimed in
seemed generally positive (Namit, Edward, Clark, Alexander).  Namit and I have
different visions for what the committership might look like, so I'd like to
hear from other Hive PMC members what their view is on this.  I have to say
from an HCatalog perspective the proposition is much less attractive without
some commit rights.

On a related note, people should be aware of these threads in the Incubator
list:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201211.mbox/%3CCAGU5spdWHNtJxgQ8f%3DnPEXx9xNLjyjOYaFfnSw4EyAjgm1c46w%40mail.gmail.com%3E

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201211.mbox/%3CCAKQbXgDZj_zMj4qSodXjMHV7xQZxpcY1-35cvq959YKLNd6tJQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E

For those not inclined to read all the mails in the threads I will summarize
(though I urge all PMC members of Hive and PPMC members of HCat to read both
mail threads because this is highly relevant to what we are discussing).  There
are two salient points in these threads:

1) It is not wise to build a subproject that is distinct from the main project
in the sense that it has separate community members interested in it.
Bertrand, Arun, Chris Mattman, and Greg Stein all spoke against this, and all
are long time Apache contributors with a lot of experience.  They were all of
the opinion that it was reasonable for one project to release separate products.

2) It is not wise to have committers that have access to parts of a project but
not others.  Greg and Bertrand argued (and Arun seemed to imply) that splitting
up committer lists by sections of the code did not work out well.

These insights cause me to question what we mean by subproject.  I had
originally envisioned something that looked like Pig and Hive did when they
were subprojects of Hadoop.  But this violates both 1 and 2 above.  Given this
input from many of the "wise old timers" of Apache I think we should consider
what we mean when we say subproject and how tightly we are willing to integrate
these projects.  Personally I think it makes sense to continue to pursue
integration, as I think HCat is really a set of interfaces on top of Hive and
it makes sense to coalesce those into one project.  I guess this would mean
HCat becomes just another set of jars that Hive releases when it releases,
rather than a stand alone entity.  But I'm curious to hear what others think.

Alan.